Author Topic: hydro steering  (Read 7024 times)

sean1

• View Profile
hydro steering
« on: November 09, 2009, 10:09:07 pm »
need to set up full hyro on my jeep.  need help.  never done anything like this.  any advice?

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: hydro steering
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 03:18:39 pm »
Admitting that you have no experience with a project like this I'd like to ask a few questions first.

1) Will this Jeep be used strickly for off-road use...?
2) Will this Jeep be driven on the street from time to time...?

Understand that there are two ways to set-up a hydro system.

1) Full Hydro - Fully dependant on fluid and consists of eight key components needing installed correctly.
2) Ram Assist - Works to assist your existing system and quite simple to install with a kit.

A fully hydraulic system requires detail when installing. Whereas an assist system is quite easy.
Both will offer improved results. But, the fully hydro system is well known for strickly off-road use but when set up correctly is fully capable for street use.

Hell, Catapillar didn't spend millions to refine a system for the millions of heavy duty dump trucks out there for nothing. It just needs to be done correctly.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

sean1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 06:37:57 pm »
it will be strictly offroad.  yeah i understand that some full hydro set ups depend solely on fluid to drive the system.  like some of the old farm tractors.  would like to try it but i do realize this is something that must be done correctly for my safety aswell as others.

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 07:21:00 pm »
Ok, now that you've decided that part.

Have you considered the cost...? It's not a cheap decision by any means and requires assistance to install if not knowledgeable.

1) Hydro Rams & Connecting Parts = $200-$220.00
2) Ram Mounting Kit = $100.00
3) Clevis Kit = $100.00
4) Orbital (Steering Control Valve) = $275
5) Above Mounting Kit = $20-$25.00
6) Steering Columns = $50-$60.00
7) Tie Rod Kit = $130-$140.00
8) Lines & Fittings = $20-$25.00

Total Investment without labor = $895.00-$945.00

Pretty BIG investment with NEW parts. People have done it for less with the abilities to improvise and aquire used parts.

No, I have never install one. I do understand how and why they work so damn well. I might have forgotten a fluid cooler too, I've seen some systems with those installed.

A "Ram Assist" system can be had with all needed compenents http://www.xtremeterrain.com/hydraulicassiststeeringkits.aspx
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

sean1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 09:45:18 pm »
it is expensive fo rsure.  but i am running 42" tsl's.  would an assist system be enough?

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 04:16:51 pm »
They are rated for 40+ from what I understand. Let me ask around.